Dr. Finkelstein loves the diversity of family medicine and the opportunity to interact closely with patients through both joyous and difficult stages of their lives. During medical school and residency training, his special interest in cross-cultural health led him from Apache and Navajo reservations in the Southwest to Ecuador and India to study medicine.
He and his wife, Dr. Lisa Schlar, also a family physician on the residency faculty, next spent four years serving a native Eskimo community in rural Alaska, where his practice included inpatient and outpatient care with emergency room work and lots of obstetrics. Dr. Finkelstein expanded his interest in medical procedures, performing no-scalpel vasectomy, sigmoidoscopy, upper endoscopy, colposcopy, and skin surgery, among other things, and developed interests in practice management and office orthopedics.
Dr. Finkelstein joined the UPMC Shadyside residency program in 2001. At Shadyside, he supervises the Surgical, Emergency, and Procedural aspects of the curriculum, leads the Diabetes LOPIR group, and is the Laboratory Director.
Alan and Lisa have two wonderful kids, Ariana and Jordan. Alan chairs the Board of Directors of Adagio Health, a non-profit providing health services to women in Western PA. When he’s not working, he enjoys cooking, practicing piano, and fixing up old houses.
2015 - 2016
- Meeting Resident Scholarly Activity Requirements Through a Longitudinal Quality Improvement Curriculum, Journal of Graduate Medical Education MS. No. JGME-D-14-00360R1; Simasek M, Ballard S, Phelps P, Pingul-Ravano R, Kolb R, Finkelstein A, Weaver-Agostoni J, Takedai T Pub Med # 26217429
2015 - 2016
- Oversaw Catie Tarantine’s poster submission to the UPMC Quality Fair on using an AmeriCorps member to address gaps in service delivery. Presented at Quality Fair, 9/2015 (Poster)
- Diabetes Quality Improvement Assistant, Shadyside Hospital Foundation, 2012-2018
- Improving Diabetic Retinal Screening through Retinal Photography, Shadyside Hospital Foundation, 2016-2017
- Improving Glycemic Control Using Point-of-Care HbA1C Testing, Thomas Nimick Competitive Research Fund, 2017-2018
2015 - 2016
- Co-Chair of the Jewish Healthcare Foundation’s campaign to Improve Utilization of the HPV Vaccine in Allegheny County, August 19, 2015