Our program has a long and proud history of training Osteopathic medical students and resident physicians dating back to our initial accreditation by the American Osteopathic Association in 2007. Since that time, our curriculum has continued to grow and evolve, achieving Osteopathic Recognition from the ACGME Osteopathic Principles Committee in 2018.
In our yearly classes of ten residents, four Osteopathic residents will complete their residency training with Osteopathic Recognition. Applicants to our program designate their interest in Osteopathic Recognition during the application and match processes. Training with Osteopathic Recognition at our program includes the following components:
- Mentorship from three full-time and three part-time Osteopathic faculty members
- Monthly videoconferences reviewing Osteopathic principles and OMT
- Weekly OMT Clinic staffed by Osteopathic residents and faculty on a rotating basis
- A research project presentation at the annual UPMC Medical Education Scholarly Conference Highlighting Osteopathic Learning and Research (SCHOLAR)
- Yearly completion of the ABFM In-Training Examination, as well as the Clinical Osteopathic Recognition Training Exam or CORTEx
- Qualification for the Early Entry Initial Certification Written Exam, offered by the American Osteopathic Board of Family Physicians
- Board certification by both the ABFM and AOBFP
- Additional opportunities for research, teaching, presentations, training seminars, and patient care projects
Our curriculum builds on the fundamentals instilled in Osteopathic residents during their medical school training and prepares them to become confident and competent Osteopathic family physicians.
Our virtual recruitment season will begin on Monday, October 18, 2021, and will end on Friday, January 28, 2022. Interviews will be scheduled for Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Our offices will be closed the day after Thanksgiving, Friday, November 26 and on Martin Luther King Day, Monday, January 17. There will be no interviews scheduled beginning Monday, December 20 through Friday, December 31 due to the holidays.