Dr. Stiefel is the Associate Director of the UPMC Shadyside Family Medicine Residency Program. A board-certified family physician, she joined a private practice in Pittsburgh after completing her Family Medicine Residency in 1993. She provided outpatient, inpatient, and nursing home care for two and one half years in this setting.
In 1996, her interest in medically underserved populations as well as working with and learning about other cultures, led her to the Indian Health Service in Shiprock, New Mexico, where she worked with the Navajo people. Dr. Stiefel practiced full-spectrum family medicine including obstetrics, sport medicine, emergency, and intensive care medicine for over five years at the Northern Navajo Medical Center. She was chair of the family medicine department for three of those years.
Dr. Stiefel joined the faculty in 2001 as the maternity care coordinator, where she could continue to practice full-spectrum family medicine and pursue her interest in teaching. Since November 2004, she has actively participated in the Family Medicine Department at Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC and is integrally involved in the family medicine OB rotation. In July 2005, she became the residency co-director along with Dr. N. Randall Kolb, and then transitioned to the associate program director in 2007.
Dr. Stiefel's personal interests include hiking, travel, and reading, as well as The Ohio State University and Pittsburgh Steelers football.
Scholarly Research Project
2016 - 2017
- Ongoing Research: CDC 2015-2010 Inpatient Network HAIVEN under Dr. Rick Zimmerman. Started January 2017
2016 - 2017
- Improving the HPV Vaccination Rate at the UPMC Shadyside Family Health Center. Co-presenter with Mary Hull MD, Madeline Simasek MD, Jacqueline Weaver-Agostoni DO MPH. FMEC 2016. Pittsburgh, PA. October 29, 2016. (Poster)
- Increasing Implementation of Fluoride Varnish at Well Child Visits. Co-presenter with Jacqueline Uy MD, Madeline Simasek MD, Jacqueline Weaver-Agostoni DO MPH. FMEC 2016. Pittsburgh, PA. October 29, 2016. (Poster)
- Ways to Increase Faculty Scholarly Activity, April 1, 2017, AAFP RPS/PDW, Kansas City
2015 - 2016
- Improving the Hearing Screening Process in Children at the UPMC Shadyside Family Health Center; FMEC Conference; Danvers, MA; November 2015 Diana Sidelko MD; Madeline Simasek MD; Lori Stiefel MD; Jacqueline Weaver-Agostoni DO. (Poster)
- “Resident Mentoring/Electronic Health Record”, Residency Program Solutions/Program Director Workshop, Kansas City, 4/2 and 4/4/16, Stiefel, L; Gallik, G
2016 - 2017
- Ways to Increase Faculty Scholarly Activity. Co-presenter with Jacqueline Weaver-Agostoni DO MPH FACOFP. PDW and RPS. March 24, 2017. Kansas City, MO.