Dr. Takedai graduated from Hirosaski University School of Medicine, Japan in 1988. He has been board certified with the Japan Surgical Society since 1994. In 2001 after ten years of practice as a general and plastic surgeon in Japan, he came to the United States to seek additional training in family medicine.
Subsequently, he completed his family medicine residency training at UPMC Shadyside. Dr. Takedai moved to Indiana where for three years he served as a family medicine physician and director of a community health center. He joined UPMC Shadyside’s Family Medicine Faculty in 2008.
He has special interests in comprehensive primary care, obstetrics and gynecology care as a family physician. He performs various office procedures including skin biopsy, surgical repair for minor injuries, colposcopy, IUD insertion, and anoscopy.
Dr. Takedai also enthusiastically facilitates the international educational collaboration between the United States and Japan to improve the quality of postgraduate medical education training for Japanese physicians. Also, he coordinates the observership opportunities for medical students and young physicians from Japan. In his spare time, Dr. Takedai loves to play the violin.
2015 - 2016
- Health Issues of Physical Activity in Daily Life, Exercise and Sedentary Behavior among Japanese Residing Overseas Primary Health Care Open Access, Vol 5, Issue 3, Nov 9, 2015 Pub Med #24423081; Nobutaka Hirooka, Teiichi Takedai, Frank D’Amico
- Does Stopping a PPI cause a Clinically Important Rebound Phenomenon?, Evidence-Based Practice, FPIN, vol 18, Number 122, Nov 2015
- Meeting Resident Scholarly Activity Requirements Through a Longitudinal Quality Improvement Curriculum, Journal of Graduate Medical Education MS. No. JGME-D-14-00360R1; Simasek M, Ballard S, Phelps P, Pingul-Ravano R, Kolb R, Finkelstein A, Weaver-Agostoni J, Takedai T Pub Med # 26217429
2016 - 2017
- Japanese Community Outreach; grant from the Shadyside Hospital Foundation, July 2016-June 2017
- Centering Pregnancy Group Prenatal Group Visits and Home Visits. PCMH; Model Preventing Preterm Birth One Woman At A Time; Rowena Pingul-Ravano, MD, FAAFP, Teiichi Takedai, MD, FAAFP, Margaret Judge, RN, BSN, LCCE. Grant from the Shadyside Hospital Foundation, August 2016-August 2017
2015 - 2016
- Japanese Community Outreach Teiichi Takedai, MD, Rie Hirokawa, MD; Grant from the Shadyside Foundation,. July 2015-June 2016
- Centering Pregnancy Group. “Prenatal Group Visits and Home Visits. PCMH Model: “Preventing Preterm Birth One Woman At A Time.” Rowena Pingul-Ravano, MD, FAAFP, Teiichi Takedai, MD, FAAFP, Margaret Judge, RN, BSN, LCCE
- Implement and pilot an innovative model of Prenatal Care in our Shadyside FHC as the first centering group visit (at Shadyside) of pregnant women in preventing preterm labor followed by post-partum home visits (serving the underserved women). Grant from the Shadyside Foundation,. August 2015-August 2016
2016 - 2017
- Advanced Surgical Techniques in Primary Care Office Procedures. Co-presenter with Yuzo Komuro MD PhD. FMEC 2016. Pittsburgh, PA. October 30, 2016. (Procedure)
2015 - 2016
- Joint Injections in the Family Medicine Office, Martin Johns, MD, Alan Finkelstein, MD, Teiichi Takedai, MD, Rie Hirokawa, MD 2016 Combined PAFP CME Conference and UPMC 43rd Refresher Course in Family Medicine. Pittsburgh, PA March 11, 2016