Dr. Ballard received her Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the University of Florida and completed a Pharmacy Practice Residency with Family Medicine Faculty Development at UPMC St. Margaret and the University of Pittsburgh Schools of Pharmacy and Medicine. Following residency, she taught ambulatory pharmacotherapy at Nova Southeastern University, with patient care responsibilities at the West Palm Beach Veterans Affairs Medical Center. She became a board-certified pharmacotherapy specialist (BCPS) in 2009 and joined the Shadyside Family Medicine Residency faculty in 2011. She was previously the Residency Program Director for the Shadyside PGY1 Pharmacy Residency, and now directs a PGY2 Ambulatory Care Pharmacy Residency focusing on family medicine primary care. Dr. Ballard is a past chair of the Pharmacist Faculty Collaborative within the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine, and remains involved within group leadership as a Member-At-Large. She is currently an advisory board member for the Hepatitis Free PA Coalition.
Dr. Ballard practices at the Shadyside Family Health Center where she is integrated into team-based primary care. She sees patients for Pharmacotherapy Clinic and Liver Clinic visits and provides pharmacist support for care transitions, home visits, substance use disorders and HIV population health. As a pharmacist faculty member, she co-coordinates the Medical Decision Making series teaching applied evidence based medicine and provides pharmacotherapy education during resident didactics and office hours. Her professional interests include cardiovascular pharmacotherapy, lifestyle medicine, women's health, office-based pharmacist practice advancement, evidence-based medicine, and information retrieval.
Outside of the health center, Dr. Ballard is a vocalist who enjoys traveling and spending time with her two parrots, Mango and Zazu.
- Co-coordinator: Medical Decision Making
2015 - 2016
- Meeting Resident Scholarly Activity Requirements Through a Longitudinal Quality Improvement Curriculum, Journal of Graduate Medical Education MS. No. JGME-D-14-00360R1; Simasek M, Ballard S, Phelps P, Pingul-Ravano R, Kolb R, Finkelstein A, Weaver-Agostoni J, Takedai T Pub Med # 26217429
- Presentation & Discussion: Integration and optimization of clinical pharmacists as clinician-educators and faculty members within family medicine residency programs. Brianna McQuade, Jody Lounsbery, Stephanie Ballard, Jennie Jarrett
- Quality Improvement Tadpole Think Tank: Completed Research; Discussion session
2017 - 2018
- Sakai N, Ballard SL, Schlar L. Electronic alert and direct messaging do not effectively prompt documented discussion of teratogenic medication risk or contraception changes in women of childbearing age prescribed potential teratogens at an urban academic family health center. 2017 American College of Clinical Pharmacy Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ. October 9, 2017. Poster Presentation. *Award: 2nd place in ambulatory care
- Kolb NR, Ballard SL. Hepatitis C Primary Care. Family Medicine Grand Rounds. February 7, 2018.
- D’Antonio N, Ballard SL et al. Medication Adherence Breakout Session. Family Medicine Refresher Course, Pittsburgh, PA, March 2018.
- Yamazaki K, Ballard SL, Schlar LP. Adherence to a controlled substance policy at an urban academic family health center. Poster. Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Annual Meeting, Washington, DC. May 2018.
- Ballard SL. Coding and Documentation. Presentation. First Think Tank of the Pennsylvania Primary Care Pharmacist Consortium. Somerset, PA. April 3rd, 2018.
- Calcium & Vitamin D Update. Co-presenter with Sheava Blackman PharmD. FMEC 2016. Pittsburgh, PA. October 29, 2016. Speed Presentation (5-min each).
- Emergency Contraception Update. Co-presenter with Alana Grabigel PharmD. FMEC 2016. Pittsburgh, PA. October 29, 2016. Speed Presentation (5-min each).
- Metformin Formulations. Stephanie Ballard PharmD. FMEC 2016. Pittsburgh, PA. October 29, 2016. Speed Presentation (5-min each).
- Update on Recreational Substances. Stephanie Ballard PharmD. FMEC 2016. Pittsburgh, PA. October 29, 2016. Seminar. (PharmD)
- Characterizing Women of Reproductive Age on Teratogenic Medications to Promote Better Counseling Practices Among Prescribing Physicians at the UPMC Shadyside Family Health Center. Co-presenter with Nozomi Sakai BS, Lisa Schlar MD. FMEC 2016. Pittsburgh, PA. October 29, 2016. (Poster)
- Matchmaking: RIME and Preceptor Roles. Ballard SL, Hebda ME, Grabigel A, Blackman S. UPMC Shadyside Pharmacy Continuing Education Series. April 20, 2017. Pittsburgh PA
2015 - 2016
- An Intervention to Increase Prescribing of Emergency Contraception Ulipristal Acetate (Ella) in a Family Health Center; Iyunoluwa Agboola MD, Stephanie Ballard PharmD, BCPS, Lisa Schlar MD FMEC NE Regional Meeting, 2015 (Poster)
- Chronic Hepatitis C Care: A Mixed Methods Study to Explore a New Frontier for Family Medicine STFM, Minneapolis, April 2016
- The Hepatitis C Care Cascade at a Family Medicine Residency Clinic: Analysis of Gaps and Determinants of Care towards Practice Transformation STFM, Minneapolis, April 2016
2017 - 2018
- $8000 – STFM Project Fund Grant 2018 – Integration and optimization of clinical pharmacists as clinician-educators and faculty members within family medicine residency programs: a residency program and clinician’s guide
2015 - 2016
- “Pharmacists Improving Inhaler Technique in Primary Care” $5250 for a collaboration between UPMC Shea Medical Center pharmacist Trisha Miller, PharmD, BCACP and UPMC Shadyside Family Health Center pharmacist Stephanie Ballard, PharmD, BCPS
- “Patient/Provider Education and Provision of Nasal Atomizer Devices to Enhance Naloxone Prescription for Emergency Response to Opioid Overdose” $1300 to fund supplies for an upcoming initiative to increase “take home” naloxone prescribing at UPMC Shadyside Family Health Center.
- Treatment of Asthma: Who, What, When, How? Co-presenter with Trish Klatt PharmD, Michael Korczynski PharmD, Nicole D’Antonio PharmD, Accamma Joy DO. FMEC 2016. Pittsburgh, PA. October 29, 2016. (Pharm)
- Hepatitis C in Family Medicine Program. Co-presenter with N Randall Kolb MD, Nicole D’Antonio PharmD, Marianne Koenig PharmD, Benjamin Skinker MD. FMEC 2016. Pittsburgh, PA. October 30, 2016.