In our yearly class of ten residents, at least four residents will complete their residency training with Osteopathic Recognition. Applicants to our program designate their interest in Osteopathic Recognition during the application and match processes. Training with Osteopathic Recognition at our program includes the following components:
- Mentorship from three full-time and four part-time Osteopathic faculty members
- Monthly videoconferences reviewing Osteopathic principles and OMT within a Family Medicine context*
- Weekly OMT Clinic staffed by Osteopathic residents and faculty on a rotating basis*
- A research project presentation at the annual UPMC Medical Education Scholarly Conference Highlighting Osteopathic Learning and Research (SCHOLAR)*
- Yearly completion of the ABFM In-Training Examination, as well as the Clinical Osteopathic Recognition Training Exam or CORTEX*
- Qualification for the Early Entry Initial Certification Written Exam, offered by the American Osteopathic Board of Family Physicians
- Board certification by both the ABFM and AOBFP*
- Access to an Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine elective
- Additional opportunities for research, teaching, presentations, training seminars, and patient care projects
* Designate mandatory elements of the program
Our curriculum builds on the fundamentals instilled in Osteopathic residents during their medical school training and prepares them to become confident and competent Osteopathic family physicians.
After interviewing with our program, applicants can rank Shadyside in three different ways. If you want to complete your training with us as part of our Osteopathic Recognition Program, select the “Family Medicine/Osteopathic” option (1657120C1). If you do not want to participate in our Osteopathic Recognition Program, choose the option that is listed as “Family Medicine” (1657120C0). If you want to train at Shadyside regardless of your ability to complete our Osteopathic Recognition Program, you can select both options. Please note that after the Match, we meet with each trainee to further explore your interests and we will do our best to tailor your training to meet your future goals, with or without Osteopathic Recognition.
Information for Applicants
Our virtual recruitment season will begin on Monday, October 16, 2023, and will end on Friday, January 26, 2024. Interviews will be scheduled for Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Our offices will be closed the day after Thanksgiving, Friday, November 24 and on Martin Luther King Day, Monday, January 15. There will be no interviews scheduled beginning Monday, December 18 through Monday, January 2 due to the holidays. Interviews will resume on Wednesday, January 3.